MEDICAL BILLING & CODING
” Never work a day in your life ” It is possible!
In our last post we talked about one of our well know program, Medical Assistant. We mentioned jobs that you may be interested in with your diploma. Now, this post will give you more in depth on jobs you can get with your Medical Billing & Coding Diploma with our program. ( ERC ) Remember do what you love, and you will never have to work another day !
Medical billers are incredibly important in every healthcare facility— these providers can’t stay in business without good billers.
As a medical billing specialist, you will take the data provided by the medical coders and use it to compile and submit claims to insurance companies and then subsequently bill patients. Day-to-day responsibilities vary from location to location, but often include:
- Using coded data to produce and submit claims to insurance companies
- Working directly with the insurance company, healthcare provider, and patient to get a claim processed and paid
- Reviewing and appealing unpaid and denied claims
- Verifying patients’ insurance coverage
- Answering patients’ billing questions
- Handling collections on unpaid accounts
- Managing the facility’s Accounts Receivable reports
Medical Coder :
- Translate patient information and into alphanumeric medical code.
- Collect, post, and manage patient account payments.
- Submit claims to insurance.
- Prepare and review patient statements.
- Review delinquent accounts and call for collection purposes.
- Process payments from insurance companies.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Code patient services and enter into computer.
- Sort and file paperwork.
- Ensure healthcare facilities are reimbursed for all procedures.
- Handle information about patient treatment, diagnosis, and related procedures to ensure proper coding.
- Know several different coding systems, including Level 1 HCPCS and Level 2 HCPCS.
- Use computers to read and organized charts.
- Follow up to see if a claim is accepted or denied.
- Investigate rejected claim to see why denial was issued.
- Investigate insurance fraud and report if found.