Meet Our Program Director and Instructor: Nonette Toves

My name is Nonette Toves and I am the Program Director and Instructor for Eagle Rock College.  It has been more than 12 years since I entered the Healthcare Industry.  I always wanted to work in the medical field because I know that this industry will never go away.  I worked in the food industry, corporate office, real estate to name a few before I went back to school to get the education I needed to make my goal a reality.

My career path has taken me from the Insurance Coding and Billing Specialist serving as the Operations Manager for multi-specialty providers such as OB-GYN, Colorectal Surgeons, Ophthalmologist, Primary Care Physicians and General Surgeons to a Managing Consultant and Instructor / Program Director for Eagle Rock College.

When I was a student, I was inspired by my teacher passion for learning. My teacher fostered within me a desire to learn, challenge myself and explore. I wanted to share that same experience with others.  I want to keep the lines of communication open with students where they can learn the fundamentals, know the fundamentals and be able to use the skills they learn and apply it when they take their certifications.  Healthcare is certification driven. Here in Eagle Rock College, we prepare our students to sit in for the Certification exams.  Eagle Rock College has the privilege to be AHIMA Approved.  As a former student and a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) and Certified Professional Coder (CPC), I hope to inspire our students and our would be students and give them an opportunity to expand their knowledge and embark in the healthcare industry.  The world of coding is wide open; coders should explore all available opportunities and find what most interest them.

As a Practice Administrator, an Independent Coding Consultant and AHIMA Ambassador and an ICD 10 CM/PCS Trainer, I continue to provide services as well as education and training to numerous healthcare facilities, physician and coders in Southern California, I get to know the doctors, what the doctors are doing – how they do procedures and how they document. It sets the stage for anything I have to do with the insurance companies later.

Asked why I choose coding as a profession?  My response is simple: “It chose me!” I continue to be fascinated and challenged by the differences in rules and interpretation.  This is not a profession that one can learn overnight.  A person has to be willing to invest their time in continuing education in order to succeed.  No matter how old you are, the key to advancement is education”. “Education and Preparation is the Key to Success”. The benefit to working in the medical coding is job security, because the field is constantly expanding.

This golden rule inspires me (a Chinese Proverb): “If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.”